Since their launch in May 2019, Micro E-mini futures have provided global traders of all sizes a new tool to access the equity futures market. At 1/10th the size of their E-mini counterparts, Micro E-minis allow traders to fine-tune their exposure with greater flexibility and capital efficiency.
Highlights from year one:
- Average daily volume of 865K contracts across 4 indices
- Single-day record volume of 3.9M contracts on February 28
- Individual Micro E-mini contracts: 106.5M+ in S&P 500 (MES), 78M+ in Nasdaq-100 (MNQ), 19.2M+ in Dow (MYM), 11.8M+ in Russell 2000 (M2K)
- Global participation: Average daily volume of over 190K contracts traded during non-US hours before the cash open
- 27% of volume came from outside of the US, with trades submitted from 160+ countries
Source: CME Group. All data as of US cash market close on May 4.